Thursday, January 3, 2008

Jamming to "This Little Light"

On his Live in Dublin CD, Bruce Springsteen does a gospel/Dixieland rendition of “This Little Light of Mine.” I just discovered it.

This is one of my all-time favorite childhood songs. In Sunday School, I was one of those 5-year-olds who always shouted out a bit too loud on the “OH NO” part. (Remember? “Hide it under a bushel, OH NO, I’m gonna let it shine.”)

Finding this song in a Springsteen package brings back that 5-year-old in me.

Start the New Year right, and try it for yourself.

Pull your high-school horn out of the closet, take out your tambourine, grab a wooden spoon, or throw some rice in a Tupperware tub. Use whatever you’ve got handy. Then rise up out of your seats, raise your voices, and sing along to “This Little Light of Mine.”

I defy you to feel any shame in your soul when you’re jamming with the Boss.

Shine on, Survivors!

1 comment:

gmommy said...

Christa,
That's one of the first songs I had my grand baby marching and rocking to...we jump up together on the NO! part!!

My daughter knows to be vigilant in protecting her from sexual predators ...especially at church...even with Christian friends.

I pray for the protection of the innocent....may we do all we can so that their little lights can shine!!!!